Thursday, December 18, 2008

YES, YOU COULD GO TO JAIL.

As I dropped the coins I so willingly gave to them no matter how wrong it is, I patted their heads and they gave me the most heart-breaking looks. I have half a mind to cry that instant, not to mind the dozens and dozens of people passing behind me who doesn't give any damn about my problem but, I can't. All that was stuck inside my head to think of is this: "I'm going to help them. I'm going to give them a proper home."

I know that my soft spot for animals would always lead me to trouble someday yet, I still won't give up to help each and every animal whom I believe is being maltreated. Just yesterday, while my friend and I were passing a busy street near FEU, our hearts were crushed when we saw two dogs that were being wrongly treated.

These two dogs, being just the typical local dogs here in our country, were sitting on a plastic chair. Of course, their butts definitely wouldn't fit knowing that those chairs were built for the comforts of a human's butt, which is usually smaller than those of these two dogs. Also, their necks were tied to the handles of the chairs that one wrong move of the dogs could trigger their own deaths. As if sitting all day under the direct heat of the sun in a way too small chair for you is not yet enough torture for these dog's idiotic owner, he even asked the dogs to carry baskets in their mouths to ask for alms from the passersby.

I was so down seeing those dogs being treated as if they don't have any rights at all. How could inconsiderate people such as the owner of those dogs be allowed to move freely in our country? My heart failed me. No matter how much I hate to give money to the dogs, for I know that the money would only be for the comfort of their heartless owner, I still gave them coins, hoping against hope that it would somehow help for the dog's meal that night.As I dropped the coins I so willingly gave to them no matter how wrong it is, I patted their heads and they gave me the most heart-breaking looks. I have half a mind to cry that instant, not to mind the dozens and dozens of people passing behind me who doesn't give any damn about my problem but, I can't. All that was stuck inside my head to think of is this: "I'm going to help them. I'm going to give them a proper home."

If only they could speak, I bet when they saw me that afternoon, teary-eyed as I was, they were somehow hopeful that I might be the one to help them. I know it's crazy to believe that but, what would I lose if I would help them, right? They have all the rights in this world as I do.

I immediately sent a report to the president of the Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) who is my mom's friend. I sent her the details and I am waiting for the time when those dogs would finally fall into the hands of a new loving family where they would be treated as how they should be.

The next time you might want to hurt your pets, especially dogs, just think about this. No matter how many times you push away your dog, look at her and you'll see that she'll do anything just to stay right back to you. They never hold grudges against their masters no matter how unjustly they have been treated.

ANIMAL RIGHTS COULD BE FOUND IN THE REPUBLIC ACT NO. 8485 AN ACT TO PROMOTE ANIMAL WELFARE IN THE PHILIPPINES, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS "THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT OF 1998".

No comments: